Sclerotherapy is a non-invasive treatment to treat unwanted veins such as spider veins or varicose veins. Although this treatment can be done anywhere on the body, it is most often done on the legs. This is often considered the best choice for treating small varicose veins. Multiple treatments may be required to treat the veins.
How does it work?
A solution is injected into the unwanted veins, causing them to collapse and reabsorbed into the body.
How long does the treatment take?
Treatment time varies depending on how many veins are treated in one sitting. The treatment can range from 30 minutes to 1 hour after the initial consultation. During your consultation, we will give you an idea of how long each treatment will take.
How long will my results last?
Sclerotherapy is a permanent result for treating spider veins. New spider veins and varicose veins can continue to show up, requiring more treatments in the future.
Bruising is a common side effect of sclerotherapy treatment that can last a few days to a few weeks. Most of the side effects from sclerotherapy are temporary and usually resolve in a few days. All side effects will be reviewed thoroughly at your consultation.
Before your treatment
· Blood-thinning agents (Advil, aspirin, ibuprofen) and supplements such as Vitamin E, Ginkgo Biloba, ginseng, St. John's Wort, Omega 3/Fish Oil supplements should be avoided for one week as well to lessen the chances of bruising.
· Limit sun exposure for two weeks before your appointment.
· Do not use self-tanning lotions for two weeks before your appointment.
· Medical grade compression stockings are to be purchased before your treatment. This will be reviewed at your consultation.
· You are not a candidate if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
· Avoid baths and hot tubs for one week after treatment.
· Avoid strenuous activity for one week after treatment.
· Keep up with regular daily activities. Movement is recommended, just not exertion.
· Blood-thinning agents (Advil, aspirin, ibuprofen) and supplements such as Vitamin E, Ginkgo Biloba, ginseng, St. John's Wort, Omega 3/Fish Oil supplements should be avoided for one week after your treatment.
· Mild muscle cramping is not uncommon after treatment.
· Do not shave or wax for one week after treatment.
· Compression stockings are to be worn for one week after treatment.