Dermal fillers are a type of gel used to replenish volume loss in the face. This minimally invasive treatment is ideal for volume restoration in the cheeks, lips, temples, deep facial folds, and to enhance facial contour. We will review products, longevity, cost, associated risks, and alternative options in detail during your consultation.
How does it work?
Hyaluronic acid is a sugar found naturally in our skin that retains water to help keep a hydrated and youthful-looking appearance. As we age, hyaluronic acid decreases, leading to an aging appearance. Dermal fillers help replenish our natural volume loss, creating a more youthful appearance.
How long does the treatment take?
Treatment time ranges depending on how many areas are being treated and is never rushed. Dermal filler appointments can be anywhere from 15 to 60 minutes.
How long will my results last?
Filler generally lasts anywhere from 6 to 24 months. Duration depends on product selection, the area treated, and how quickly each person metabolizes the filler.
Downtime from dermal fillers varies per individual. Bruising and swelling afterwards is normal and can take 3-7 days to settle. Some areas are more prone to swelling, such as lips. The more areas treated in one sitting, the higher the chance of overall swelling. Makeup application is not recommended for 8-12 hours after your treatment.
Before your appointment
· Please do not consume alcoholic beverages one week before treatment to decrease the risk of bruising.
· Avoid anti-inflammatory medications (Advil, Aspirin, Ibuprofen etc.) and blood-thinning medications (if advised by prescribing physician), if possible, for two weeks before treatment. Supplements such as Vitamin E, Ginkgo Biloba, ginseng, St. John's Wort, Omega 3/Fish Oil supplements should be avoided for two weeks to decrease the chances of bruising.
· Please try to schedule your injectable appointments at least 2-3 weeks before any significant events to allow any bruising and swelling to settle.
· Reschedule your appointment if you have a rash or cold sore in the area to be treated or if you feel unwell or have a fever.
· If you have a history of cold sores, please let us know, as we may prescribe an antiviral medication before treatment.
· It is recommended to eat a light meal and be hydrated before your appointment to avoid feeling lightheaded during your treatment.
· You are not a candidate if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
· Products such as Arnica can be taken before your appointment to help reduce swelling/bruising post-treatment.
Post Treatment Care
· Avoid strenuous activity for 24 hours following your treatment.
· Avoid extensive sun or heat (sauna, hot tub) for 72 hours following your treatment.
· Avoid consuming alcohol for 48 hours as this can increase bruising.
· Avoid consuming overly salty/spicy foods to decrease the risk of excessive swelling.
· If you have swelling, you may apply a cool compress to the area.
· Use Tylenol for discomfort. AVOID Advil, aspirin, and ibuprofen.
· Try to sleep slightly elevated and on your back to avoid swelling and displacing the product.
· Makeup application is not recommended for 8-12 hours.r text. To change this content, double-click on the element and click Change Content. Want to view and manage all your collections? Click on the Content Manager button in the Add panel on the left. Here, you can make changes to your content, add new fields, create dynamic pages and more.