PRP stands for platelet-rich plasma. PRP is a natural cosmetic treatment used to improve the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and aging skin.
PRP can also be used to slow the process of hair loss or to promote new hair growth.
How does it work?
A small amount of your blood is drawn and placed in a centrifuge. The platelet-rich plasma is then injected into some regions of the face or neck. This will stimulate collagen and elastin production over the next 4-6 weeks, which will improve the overall appearance of the treated area. Multiple sessions may be required to achieve desired results. Sessions should be done 4-6 weeks apart.
PRP for hair loss regenerates the hair follicle, resulting in decreased hair loss and even hair growth and thickness. The platelets in the plasma release growth factors into the scalp and increase blood supply for the hair follicles. Before treatment, a thorough assessment is required to see if you are a good candidate for PRP for hair growth.
How long is the procedure?
This procedure typically takes about 30-45 minutes, depending on which areas are treated.
Bruising and swelling can occur after this treatment, especially in more sensitive areas such as around the eyes. Bruising and swelling vary depending on the individual but generally last around 3-7 days.
PRP in the scalp can cause some tenderness and even a minor headache. Tylenol can be taken to relieve discomfort.
Before your appointment:
· Please do not consume alcoholic beverages at least one week before treatment to decrease the risk of bruising.
· Avoid anti-inflammatory medications (Advil, Aspirin, Ibuprofen etc.) and blood-thinning medications (if advised by prescribing physician), if possible, for two weeks before treatment. Supplements such as Vitamin E, Ginkgo Biloba, ginseng, St. John's Wort, Omega 3/Fish Oil supplements should be avoided for two weeks to lessen the chances of bruising.
· Please try to schedule your injectable appointments at least 2-3 weeks before any major events to allow any bruising and swelling to settle.
· It is recommended to eat a light meal and be hydrated before your appointment to avoid feeling lightheaded during your treatment.
· Products such as Arnica can be taken before your appointment to help reduce swelling/bruising post-treatment.
· Clean hair the day before if you get PRP for hair growth.
· Avoid strenuous activity for 24 hours following your treatment.
· Avoid consuming alcohol in excessive amounts as this can increase bruising.
· If you have swelling, you may apply a cool compress.
· Use Tylenol for discomfort. AVOID Advil, aspirin, and ibuprofen.
· Makeup application is not recommended for 12-24 hours.