Neuromodulators can also treat excessive sweating by blocking nerve signals responsible for activating the sweat glands. This treatment is most often done in areas such as the underarms. However, hands and feet can be treated as well.
How does it work?
Neuromodulators are purified proteins that are injected into overactive muscles in small doses. When properly administered, the neuromodulator temporarily inhibits the release of neurotransmitters by binding to nerve endings, preventing the contraction of the targeted muscle. Results are usually seen in 2-3 weeks.
How long does the treatment take?
The procedure can range in length but usually takes about 20 to 30 minutes after the initial consultation.
How long will my results last?
Although longevity can range depending on multiple factors, hyperhidrosis results last approximately 4-6 months. This will be discussed in full at your consultation.
Other than the underarms possibly feeling a little tender, there is no downtime from this treatment.
Before Your Appointment
· Do not wear deodorant or antiperspirant the day of your treatment
· Avoid aspirin, Advil, Ibuprofen, and alcohol 48-72 hours before your treatment to minimize the risk of bruising
· You are not a candidate if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Post Treatment Care
· Avoid wearing deodorant or antiperspirant for 4 hours after your treatment
· Keep the area clean
· Cold compresses can be used to minimize any discomfort.